Tag Archives | economic growth Regional Cooperation, TradeEconomicsFinance
By Ganeshan Wignaraja. Posted July 4, 2016
Talks just concluded in Auckland, New Zealand on Saturday show that plans for the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) are advancing. Just as both Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump, the next potential leaders of the Trans-Pacific Partnership’s (TPP) biggest partner—the US—have distanced themselves from the agreement. Some even suggest that the US Congress won’t ratify the TPP agreement, and warn that the world economy risks US isolationism. Read more.
Economic growth in both developing and advanced economies has slowed since the global financial crisis. Developing Asia’s growth also moderated after the crisis, to a large extent driven by the slowdown in the People’s Republic of China (PRC). The region’s economy expanded on average 7.6% annually during 2001–2010, but growth slowed to an annual average of 6.5% during 2011–2015. ADB is projecting further deceleration to 5.7% in each 2016 and 2017. Read more.
This article assesses the case for promoting financial education in Asia. It argues that the benefits of investing in financial education can be substantial. Data are limited, but indicate low financial literacy scores for selected Asian countries. As economies develop, access to financial products and services will increase, but households and small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) need to be able to use the products and services wisely and effectively. More effective management of savings and investment can contribute to overall economic growth. Moreover, as societies age and fiscal resources become stretched, households will become increasingly responsible for their own retirement planning. Asia’s evolving experience suggests that more national surveys of financial literacy are needed and that coherent, tailored national strategies for financial education are essential for success. Read more.
Subscribe / Connect to Asia Pathways
- Agriculture and rural development
- Information and Communications Technology
- Poverty Reduction
- Public-Private Partnership
- Regional Cooperation
- Social Development and Poverty
- Mergers and acquisitions and corporate innovation
- Obesity in Pacific Island countries and territories: How big a problem is it?
- Housing policy in the Republic of Korea
- Time for SMEs in CAREC to move beyond borders
- The PRC’s international capacity cooperation exports both industrial capacity and financial risk
- Escaping the middle income trap: Innovate or perish on
- Hometown investment trust funds: A sustainable solution for financing green energy projects on
- Why is Income Distributed Unequally? A Comparison of Japan and the United States on
- Why poor countries should invest first in national trade infrastructure on
- Market failure or low-skills equilibrium? on