Tag Archives | Southeast Asia Economics, Social development and protectionClimate change, Energy, Finance sector developmentGovernance and public sector managementFinance sector developmentRegional cooperation and integration
Many efforts have been made in Southeast Asia to support creative industries and boost the creative economy, realizing the ability of knowledge-based economic activities to foster income generation, job creation, and export earnings while promoting social inclusion, cultural diversity, and human development (UNCTAD 2010: 10).
The member countries of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) have been experiencing a surge in energy demand due to their growing populations, expanding economies, and rising living standards. One reason for this rising energy demand is increased activity in the building and construction sector.
Many aspects of motivating innovation are painfully obvious, but much research on the topic is segmented depending on the particular issue of interest and the available data for examining that issue.
By Ganeshan Wignaraja. Posted October 6, 2015
Concerns about moderating economic growth and rising income inequality in ASEAN economies have brought small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) into the policy limelight. Arguing that SMEs have significant potential for creating jobs, some commentators are suggesting a host of industrial policies such as financial subsidies and local content rules to promote SMEs. However, government failure may result from heavy-handed state intervention for SMEs.
South Asian and Southeast Asian economies have all embraced an outward-oriented development strategy, albeit to different degrees. The result has been an impressive increase in international trade, foreign direct investment (FDI) inflows, and significant productivity improvements, which in turn have contributed to important socio-economic gains. Indeed, some of these economies have delivered among the most striking economic performances in the world.
Subscribe / Connect to Asia Pathways
- Agriculture and natural resources
- Capacity development
- Climate change
- Finance sector development
- Governance and public sector management
- Industry and trade
- Information and Communications Technology
- Private sector development
- Regional cooperation and integration
- Social development and protection
- Urban development
- Video Blog
- Can electric vehicles lead the way to a sustainable future?
- Mitigating climate-related sovereign risk to accelerate action on the climate emergency
- Water security through effective wastewater management: Lessons from Japan’s public–private partnerships
- Asia in need of dialogue for scaling up climate transition finance
- Tools and principles for creating fiscal space for climate adaptation
- Levelling up innovation in Asia on
- Young Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises and Bank Credit Denials: Evidence from Europe on
- Rethinking the impact of the lockdown on micro, small, and medium-sized enterprises in the Philippines on
- ESG investment growth amid the COVID-19 crisis on
- International partnerships for catalyzing the growth of India’s Smart Cities on