Tag Archives | energy demand Climate change, Energy, Finance sector developmentEconomics, EnergyEnergy
The member countries of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) have been experiencing a surge in energy demand due to their growing populations, expanding economies, and rising living standards. One reason for this rising energy demand is increased activity in the building and construction sector.
Energy security is a crucial issue in contemporary international relations but not a new one. It is usually defined as the reliable and sufficient supply or demand of energy at acceptable prices and is at the top of the agenda for both energy-importing and energy-exporting countries.
By Venkatachalam Anbumozhi. Posted October 21, 2014
The pattern of energy supply and demand that has prevailed over the last 3 decades is undergoing transformation, with great consequences for Asia’s energy security and regional cooperation. The two factors driving this transformation are the rise of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), the People’s Republic of China (PRC), and India as major energy consumers, and the impressive additions to oil, gas, and coal output. The first is driven by growing populations, industrial growth, and economic ascendance of emerging economies. The second stems from the opening up of new geological formations for the production of conventional fuels at reasonable costs.
Subscribe / Connect to Asia Pathways
- Agriculture and natural resources
- Capacity development
- Climate change
- Finance sector development
- Governance and public sector management
- Industry and trade
- Information and Communications Technology
- Private sector development
- Regional cooperation and integration
- Social development and protection
- Urban development
- Video Blog
- What can the quality of institutions tell us about macrofinancial resilience in Asia?
- Ocean governance and blue finance for revitalizing the blue economy
- Global survey points to progress on financial inclusion but stubborn gender gaps in Asia
- Reimagining South Asia’s electricity system amid growing energy market volatility
- Rail routes offer boost to India–Bangladesh cross-border trade
- How does exchange rate volatility affect value added and gross trade? on
- Toward a robust economic recovery from COVID-19 in Asia and the Pacific on
- Crisis X: Is Asia ready to face the next pandemic? on
- Call in the social science cavalry for post-pandemic recovery on
- Central banks lead the way on green monetary policy on