Tag Archives | Upalat Korwatanasakul Gender, Poverty, Social development and protectionEconomics, Health, Industry and tradeEconomics, Finance sector development
How can trade liberalization boost women’s employment and well-being? An analysis of the Thai labor market
By Upalat Korwatanasakul. Posted August 17, 2020
As the economy is a gendered structure, trade liberalization affects women and men differently in various dimensions and through different channels. Trade liberalization causes structural transformation in terms of production and, therefore, leads to changes in employment patterns and income. However, the effect of trade is heterogenous across different sectors.
Small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) are significant contributors to economic activity and employment worldwide, and Thailand is no exception. In Thailand, SMEs represent the vast majority of firms and employ the bulk of the domestic workforce. According to the Office of SMEs Promotion (OSMEP 2019), in 2018, approximately 3 million companies were classed as SMEs in the country, comprising 99.8% of all companies. SMEs also accounted for 14 million jobs, or 86% of total employment.
Currently at the frontier of financial development, cryptocurrency provides both opportunities and risks in financial markets and has driven a large interest in its early years. The new business model provided by cryptocurrency along with the exponential increases in its prices may have enticed investors, with many utilizing cryptocurrency as a speculative asset to take advantage of the early gains. However, the subsequent crash in prices provided a wake-up call to speculators dealing with cryptocurrency.
Subscribe / Connect to Asia Pathways
- Agriculture and natural resources
- Capacity development
- Climate change
- Finance sector development
- Governance and public sector management
- Industry and trade
- Information and Communications Technology
- Private sector development
- Regional cooperation and integration
- Social development and protection
- Urban development
- Video Blog
- Carbon pricing’s potential to reduce emissions in Australia offers lessons for Asia
- Balancing the Spillover Effects of High-Speed Rail Infrastructure Investment in Asia
- After COP26, developing Asia’s challenge is meeting ambitious climate commitments
- Infrastructure investment key to unlocking emerging Asia-Europe trade corridor
- COVID-19’s impact in Asia shapes blueprint for sustainable economic recovery