Tag Archives | Jayant Menon Economics, Health, Social development and protectionEconomics, Industry and trade, Regional cooperation and integrationGovernance and public sector managementGovernance and public sector management, Private sector development
By Jayant Menon. Posted April 28, 2020
The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and its bigger counterpart ASEAN+3, comprising the 10 ASEAN members and the People’s Republic of China, Japan, and the Republic of Korea (ROK), have been slow to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic. While they have been strenuously ramping up their efforts, more needs to be done, and quickly. There are many things they can do immediately, such as employing their machinery to increase consultation and cooperation to curb contagion—both medical and economic—and limit beggar-thy-neighbor policies.
In 2015, the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and the People’s Republic of China (PRC) signed an Upgrade Protocol to improve the original Framework Agreement for the ASEAN-People’s Republic of China Free Trade Area (ACFTA) as well as their Agreement on Trade in Goods, Services, and Investment. The Upgrade Protocol entered into force in July 2016, and implementation will start from August 2019.
By Jayant Menon. Posted September 7, 2018
When Malaysians came out in numbers to replace the government that had ruled since Independence, they signaled a clear desire for change. But what kind of mandate does the new government have? Pakatan Harapan’s election campaign included a host of promises, most of which are now being pursued without much controversy.
Subscribe / Connect to Asia Pathways
- Agriculture and natural resources
- Capacity development
- Finance sector development
- Governance and public sector management
- Industry and trade
- Information and Communications Technology
- Private sector development
- Regional cooperation and integration
- Social development and protection
- Urban development
- Video Blog
- COVID-19 highlights the need to strengthen environmental risk management and scale-up sustainable finance and investment across Asia
- Achieving fiscal sustainability in the face of demographic change
- Economic impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic and oil price collapse
- SMEs in global value chains: Catalysts for dynamic and inclusive economic growth
- How should ASEAN and ASEAN+3 respond to the COVID-19 crisis?
- Global stimulus to fight the COVID-19 pandemic on
- How should ASEAN and ASEAN+3 respond to the COVID-19 crisis? on
- Characterizing financial cycles: Are emerging markets different? on
- Improve handwashing access to combat COVID-19 on
- Some knowledge economy lessons from the Republic of Korea for Africa on