About Will HickeyWill Hickey is an associate professor and technical advisor, School of Government and Public Policy (SGPP), Jakarta, Indonesia, and two-time US Fulbright Professor of Management and Energy for Central Asia (2003) and South Asia (2009).
By Will Hickey. Posted February 27, 2015
Already driving a housing bubble in all major Asian cities from Seoul to Jakarta, significant hot money inflows are what Hong Kong, China and Singapore seek to avoid. However, Greece’s exit from the eurozone coupled with subsequent quantitative easing by the People’s Republic of China (PRC) to jump-start flagging growth could quickly exacerbate this Asian dynamic.
By Will Hickey. Posted April 4, 2013
At the 2009 G20 Pittsburgh Summit, leaders recognized the problem of fuel subsidies and made a commitment “to rationalize and phase out inefficient fossil fuel subsidies” (G20 2009). But Asian economies have gone the other way, and are pushing economic growth at a breakneck pace underpinned by fuel subsidies not only to consumers, but also to oil companies, mostly through production incentives. These subsidies have created an expectation that gas and oil are cheap and plentiful fuels available on demand. Yet without oil, the world would grind to a halt and chaos and social upheaval would probably ensue. Alternative and renewable energy resources are simply not yet available on a large commercial scale, leaving many people without recourse.
Subscribe / Connect to Asia Pathways
- Agriculture and natural resources
- Capacity development
- Finance sector development
- Governance and public sector management
- Industry and trade
- Information and Communications Technology
- Private sector development
- Regional cooperation and integration
- Social development and protection
- Urban development
- Video Blog
- Achieving fiscal sustainability in the face of demographic change
- Economic impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic and oil price collapse
- SMEs in global value chains: Catalysts for dynamic and inclusive economic growth
- How should ASEAN and ASEAN+3 respond to the COVID-19 crisis?
- The tip of the iceberg for COVID-19 cases in developing Asia?
- Global stimulus to fight the COVID-19 pandemic on
- How should ASEAN and ASEAN+3 respond to the COVID-19 crisis? on
- Characterizing financial cycles: Are emerging markets different? on
- Improve handwashing access to combat COVID-19 on
- Some knowledge economy lessons from the Republic of Korea for Africa on