About Stephen GroffStephen P. Groff is Vice President of the Asian Development Bank. He is responsible for the full range of the ADB's operations in East Asia, Southeast Asia and the Pacific.
By Stephen Groff. Posted August 31, 2014
Any contemporary story on development in the Asia and Pacific region begins with reflection on the massive gains achieved in the fight against poverty. The incidence of people living on less than $1.25 a day fell from 54.5% in 1990 to 20.7% in 2010, with the number of extreme poor declining from 1.48 billion to 733 million. This precipitous decline in poverty incidence has been accompanied by tremendous gains in access to health and education. Read more.
By Stephen Groff. Posted March 1, 2012
The current macroeconomic environment is far more unpredictable and difficult than just a few years ago. Asia’s central banks must evolve in order to adapt to this new landscape. Usually, a central bank’s role is to keep inflation low and stable. But with recent upheavals and financial market turmoil, they have also been charged with maintaining financial stability. To do this, central banks must increasingly work together and coordinate with other authorities. Such coordination—central to the region’s successful navigation of the 2008–2009 global financial crisis— does have implications for central bank objectivity. Central banks do not want to lose their often hard-won independence—an important factor in their operational effectiveness. Read more.
Search Asia Pathways
Subscribe / Connect
- AEC is due—but what about institutions?
- Plurilateral trade agreements: an overlooked but powerful force for international trade opening for Asia?
- The financial sector needs to be driving the green transformation
- Will Asian investment follow trade with Latin America?
- Five bond market trends to watch out for in 2015
- New Zealand: A farming and services growth model for Asia? on
- The challenges to internationalizing Japanese higher education on
- Is regional economic integration in Central Asia a doomed vision or a promising future? on
- Government procurement – key element in TPP; Missed opportunity in RCEP? on
- How the Philippines benefits from Australia’s booming links with the PRC on
Receive ADBI's daily e-newsline for unparalleled breadth of coverage on development topics from across Asia and the Pacific.