Tag Archives | Obesity Economics, Finance sector development, HealthHealthEconomics, Education, HealthGender, Health
Increased prosperity in Asia and the Pacific has led to lifestyle changes with unwanted impacts. Studies have shown that as a result of economic progress, regions are shifting to a diet that is linked with noncommunicable diseases (NCDs), particularly overweight and obesity. The World Health Organization estimates for 2015 show that about 15 million people aged 30–69 years die annually because of NCDs (Waqanivalu 2018).
By Soewarta Kosen. Posted February 2, 2018
Overweight and obesity are on the rise in Indonesia. The results of the Basic Health Survey, a national, community-based survey that measures body mass index (BMI), for 2007, 2010, and 2013 show the rising prevalence of overweight and obesity in Indonesia. Several combining factors increase overweight and obesity. These include the consumption of energy-dense food, the intensive advertisement of unhealthy food, and the consumption of unhealthy school meals.
By Jillian Wate. Posted August 10, 2017
The Pacific Island region is made up of 22 island countries and the territories of Polynesia, Micronesia, and Melanesia. There is great cultural diversity in the region, with about 1,200 languages spoken and a variety of exotic cultures. Surrounded by the vast Pacific Ocean, the land mass of the countries varies considerably.
By Wankyo Chung. Posted April 26, 2017
Obesity is a state of excessive body fat accumulation and is difficult to measure. Body mass index (BMI)—defined as weight in kilograms divided by the square of height in meters—has been used traditionally for its simplicity and the availability of data. Although shortcomings of using BMI have been acknowledged, its correlation with body fat percentage and its sensitivity in diagnosing obesity based on the body fat percentage have been verified for Korean people (Chung et al. 2016).
Subscribe / Connect to Asia Pathways
- Agriculture and natural resources
- Capacity development
- Climate change
- Finance sector development
- Governance and public sector management
- Industry and trade
- Information and Communications Technology
- Private sector development
- Regional cooperation and integration
- Social development and protection
- Urban development
- Video Blog
- The “invisible” water crisis: Groundwater sustainability in Asia and the Pacific
- COP27, climate change mitigation, and a just transition for developing Asia
- Redesigning social protection programs beyond the COVID-19 pandemic
- Bringing lawyers back to the table for FIDIC contracts and dispute boards
- Sustainable urban development in India: Emerging issues and the way forward
- Levelling up innovation in Asia on
- Young Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises and Bank Credit Denials: Evidence from Europe on
- Rethinking the impact of the lockdown on micro, small, and medium-sized enterprises in the Philippines on
- ESG investment growth amid the COVID-19 crisis on
- International partnerships for catalyzing the growth of India’s Smart Cities on