Tag Archives | Obesity Economics, Finance sector development, HealthHealthEconomics, Education, HealthGender, Health
Increased prosperity in Asia and the Pacific has led to lifestyle changes with unwanted impacts. Studies have shown that as a result of economic progress, regions are shifting to a diet that is linked with noncommunicable diseases (NCDs), particularly overweight and obesity. The World Health Organization estimates for 2015 show that about 15 million people aged 30–69 years die annually because of NCDs (Waqanivalu 2018).
By Soewarta Kosen. Posted February 2, 2018
Overweight and obesity are on the rise in Indonesia. The results of the Basic Health Survey, a national, community-based survey that measures body mass index (BMI), for 2007, 2010, and 2013 show the rising prevalence of overweight and obesity in Indonesia. Several combining factors increase overweight and obesity. These include the consumption of energy-dense food, the intensive advertisement of unhealthy food, and the consumption of unhealthy school meals.
By Jillian Wate. Posted August 10, 2017
The Pacific Island region is made up of 22 island countries and the territories of Polynesia, Micronesia, and Melanesia. There is great cultural diversity in the region, with about 1,200 languages spoken and a variety of exotic cultures. Surrounded by the vast Pacific Ocean, the land mass of the countries varies considerably.
By Wankyo Chung. Posted April 26, 2017
Obesity is a state of excessive body fat accumulation and is difficult to measure. Body mass index (BMI)—defined as weight in kilograms divided by the square of height in meters—has been used traditionally for its simplicity and the availability of data. Although shortcomings of using BMI have been acknowledged, its correlation with body fat percentage and its sensitivity in diagnosing obesity based on the body fat percentage have been verified for Korean people (Chung et al. 2016).
Subscribe / Connect to Asia Pathways
- Agriculture and natural resources
- Capacity development
- Finance sector development
- Governance and public sector management
- Industry and trade
- Information and Communications Technology
- Private sector development
- Regional cooperation and integration
- Social development and protection
- Urban development
- Video Blog
- Empowering Thai SMEs to join global value chains: Policy priorities under COVID-19
- Challenging times for central banks: Low inflation, monetary policy, and digital currency
- ESG investment growth amid the COVID-19 crisis
- COVID-19 highlights the need to strengthen environmental risk management and scale-up sustainable finance and investment across Asia
- Achieving fiscal sustainability in the face of demographic change
- Global stimulus to fight the COVID-19 pandemic on
- How should ASEAN and ASEAN+3 respond to the COVID-19 crisis? on
- Characterizing financial cycles: Are emerging markets different? on
- Improve handwashing access to combat COVID-19 on
- Some knowledge economy lessons from the Republic of Korea for Africa on