Tag Archives | global responses Economics, Health, Social development and protectionEconomics, Health, Social development and protectionEconomics, Health, Social development and protection
By Jayant Menon. Posted April 28, 2020
The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and its bigger counterpart ASEAN+3, comprising the 10 ASEAN members and the People’s Republic of China, Japan, and the Republic of Korea (ROK), have been slow to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic. While they have been strenuously ramping up their efforts, more needs to be done, and quickly. There are many things they can do immediately, such as employing their machinery to increase consultation and cooperation to curb contagion—both medical and economic—and limit beggar-thy-neighbor policies.
The number of COVID-19 cases in many Asian developing countries is surprisingly low, but this may simply reflect inadequate levels of testing. The high correlation between rates of testing and per capita GDP strongly suggests that lower-income countries face a number of barriers to carrying out adequate testing. This raises the risk of rapid increases in infection rates in the future and points to the need for support for additional testing, as well as for increases in medical spending and general fiscal measures.
By Pitchaya Sirivunnabood. Posted April 9, 2020
The COVID-19 pandemic has quickly become a severe global crisis, with a drastic spread in less than 2 months and shifts in its epicenter. Almost 1 million people have been infected with the virus around the world, and the number of deaths has shot up rapidly and continues to grow.
Subscribe / Connect to Asia Pathways
- Agriculture and natural resources
- Capacity development
- Climate change
- Finance sector development
- Governance and public sector management
- Industry and trade
- Information and Communications Technology
- Private sector development
- Regional cooperation and integration
- Social development and protection
- Urban development
- Video Blog
- What can the quality of institutions tell us about macrofinancial resilience in Asia?
- Ocean governance and blue finance for revitalizing the blue economy
- Global survey points to progress on financial inclusion but stubborn gender gaps in Asia
- Reimagining South Asia’s electricity system amid growing energy market volatility
- Rail routes offer boost to India–Bangladesh cross-border trade
- How does exchange rate volatility affect value added and gross trade? on
- Toward a robust economic recovery from COVID-19 in Asia and the Pacific on
- Crisis X: Is Asia ready to face the next pandemic? on
- Call in the social science cavalry for post-pandemic recovery on
- Central banks lead the way on green monetary policy on