About Toshiaki AizawaToshiaki Aizawa is a PhD candidate at the Department of Economics and Related Studies, University of York.
Japan and the United States (US) are at similar levels of economic development, yet their income distributions are considerably different. Whereas Japan has a relatively equal income distribution, the US is marked by a high level of income inequality. What are the sources of income inequality in both countries? Our latest research aims to uncover the sources on income inequality in both countries by exploiting detailed household panel survey. Read more.
New ADBI research (Aizawa and Helble, forthcoming) studies how overweight and obesity have become major threats to public health in Indonesia. The evidence shows that obesity, which was previously a problem among high-income groups in the country, has spread across all income groups. Obesity in the lower-income groups, in particular, has been rising rapidly. Overweight and obesity significantly increase the risk of suffering from a large number of chronic conditions. Lower income groups are particularly ill-prepared to face continuously high health expenditures, as health systems remain weak. Urgent policy action is needed to mitigate the risk of these groups of falling into poverty due to high health expenditures caused by diseases related to obesity. Read more.
Subscribe / Connect to Asia Pathways
- Agriculture and rural development
- Information and Communications Technology
- Poverty Reduction
- Public-Private Partnership
- Regional Cooperation
- Social Development and Poverty
- How does exchange rate volatility affect value added and gross trade?
- Escaping the middle income trap: Innovate or perish
- Hometown investment trust funds: A sustainable solution for financing green energy projects
- Assessing the BOJ’s yield curve control policy
- Why is Income Distributed Unequally? A Comparison of Japan and the United States
- Hometown investment trust funds: A sustainable solution for financing green energy projects on
- Why is Income Distributed Unequally? A Comparison of Japan and the United States on
- Why poor countries should invest first in national trade infrastructure on
- Market failure or low-skills equilibrium? on
- Implications of negative interest rates for Asia on