About Kamalbek KarymshakovKamalbek Karymshakov is vice rector at the Kyrgyz-Turkish Manas University, Kyrgyz Republic. He has also worked as an economist at the CAREC Institute, People’s Republic of China.
Measuring the impacts of COVID-19 in Central Asia
By Dina Azhgaliyeva and Kamalbek Karymshakov. Posted April 8, 2022
The COVID-19 outbreak has had wide-ranging impacts on the economies of Central Asia, with uncertainty and protective policy measures contributing to falling demand and supply.
Infrastructure investment to spur firm performance in Central Asia
By Dina Azhgaliyeva, Ranjeeta Mishra and Kamalbek Karymshakov. Posted October 15, 2021
Effective infrastructure projects not only construct infrastructure, such as roads, railways, water supply, and electricity, but can boost economic growth in the surrounding region through “spillover effects” (Yoshino, Azhgaliyeva, and Mishra 2021). The infrastructure benefits firms by lowering costs and improving connectivity and the ease of doing business, leading to greater sales and exports.
Kazakhstan and the Kyrgyz Republic need more than energy access to promote clean fuels
By Dina Azhgaliyeva, Ranjeeta Mishra and Kamalbek Karymshakov. Posted July 5, 2021
Air pollution in the cold countries of Central Asia is particularly high during winter due to the consumption of solid fuels for space heating. Evidence-based policy recommendations are needed to facilitate the transition from solid fuel consumption to the use of cleaner fuels for residential heating and cooking, particularly in Kazakhstan and the Kyrgyz Republic. This is important not only for improving health conditions for the inhabitants and visitors in these countries but also for reducing the life-threatening health hazards arising from indoor cooking and heating.
Subscribe / Connect to Asia Pathways
- Agriculture and natural resources
- Capacity development
- Climate change
- Finance sector development
- Governance and public sector management
- Industry and trade
- Information and Communications Technology
- Private sector development
- Regional cooperation and integration
- Social development and protection
- Urban development
- Video Blog
- Managing water resources in agriculture can ensure food and water security
- Maximizing the value of water to end water scarcity in Asia
- Rising corporate market power in Asia threatens monetary policy effectiveness
- Putting an end to the social disease of domestic violence
- Central bank initiatives essential for developing effective sustainable finance markets