About Huang YipingYiping Huang is a Sinar Mas Professor of Economics and Finance at the National School of Development and Institute of Digital Finance, Peking University, Beijing, People’s Republic of China.
By Huang Yiping. Posted February 26, 2021
Financial technology (fintech) is rapidly changing the financial landscape in the People’s Republic of China (PRC), with important implications for financial inclusion and macroeconomic stability (Huang 2020). Fintech in the PRC started at the end of 2004 when the mobile payment service Alipay first came online. However, fintech did not grow dramatically until 2013, when the online money market fund Yu’ebao started to receive investments from Alipay users.
The People’s Republic of China (PRC) has been liberalizing its financial system for nearly 4 decades. While it now has a comprehensive financial system with a large number of financial institutions and large financial assets, its financial policies are still highly repressive. These repressive financial policies are now a major hindrance to the PRC’s economic growth (Huang and Wang 2011).
Subscribe / Connect to Asia Pathways
- Agriculture and natural resources
- Capacity development
- Climate change
- Finance sector development
- Governance and public sector management
- Industry and trade
- Information and Communications Technology
- Private sector development
- Regional cooperation and integration
- Social development and protection
- Urban development
- Video Blog
- What can the quality of institutions tell us about macrofinancial resilience in Asia?
- Ocean governance and blue finance for revitalizing the blue economy
- Global survey points to progress on financial inclusion but stubborn gender gaps in Asia
- Reimagining South Asia’s electricity system amid growing energy market volatility
- Rail routes offer boost to India–Bangladesh cross-border trade
- How does exchange rate volatility affect value added and gross trade? on
- Toward a robust economic recovery from COVID-19 in Asia and the Pacific on
- Crisis X: Is Asia ready to face the next pandemic? on
- Call in the social science cavalry for post-pandemic recovery on
- Central banks lead the way on green monetary policy on