About Vinod ThomasVinod Thomas is Director General of the Independent Evaluation Department at the Asian Development Bank. Prior to his appointment in August 2011, Thomas held various senior posts at the World Bank, including Chief Economist for Asia and Director General of the Independent Evaluation Group. He formerly lived in Brazil as Country Director for the World Bank, wrote a popular book entitled From Inside Brazil.
By Vinod Thomas. Posted May 19, 2014
Striking rates of economic growth notwithstanding, 550 million people remain hungry in the Asia and Pacific region, 65% of the population has no safe piped water, and more than 600 million people live without electricity. Overcoming these problems requires a combined approach in which food, water and energy are treated as a nexus, rather than as separate, standalone issues, which has too often been the case in the past.
Subscribe / Connect to Asia Pathways
- Agriculture and natural resources
- Capacity development
- Finance sector development
- Governance and public sector management
- Industry and trade
- Information and Communications Technology
- Private sector development
- Regional cooperation and integration
- Social development and protection
- Urban development
- Video Blog
- The value creation potential of platforms
- Macroeconomic stabilization in the digital age: What should policy makers be aware of?
- Closing the gender gap in peer-to-peer lending
- E-learning to enhance capacities in Asia and the Pacific
- Political risks in energy-transporting countries and energy security in the Caspian Basin