Tag Archives | Bihong Huang Finance sector development, Information and Communications TechnologyEconomics, Governance and public sector management, Regional cooperation and integrationEconomics, Environment, Industry and trade
Closing the gender gap in peer-to-peer lending
By Bihong Huang. Posted December 13, 2019
Financial inclusion for women has been embraced by policy makers as an important development priority. However, despite women having lower risk preferences and higher creditworthiness, the gender gap in access to finance is still prevalent in the traditional credit market. This is due to various factors, such as differences in employment opportunities, legal obstacles, cultural norms, and limited access to the guarantee mechanism, among others.
Tackling the challenge of growing inequality in Asia
By Bihong Huang. Posted June 11, 2019
Income inequality is one of the most profound social, economic, and political challenges of our time. A survey conducted by Pew Research Center (2014) found that more than 60% of worldwide respondents regard the gap between the rich and the poor as a major concern. Piketty (2014) draws the unequivocal conclusion that growing inequality between the rich and the poor—between the owners of capital and the rest of society—is the normal state of affairs under capitalism, and that periods of decreasing inequality, such as during a post-war boom, are the exception, not the rule.
How does trade openness affect the environmental Kuznets curve?
By Zheng Fang, Bihong Huang and Zhuoxiang Yang. Posted October 4, 2018
The People’s Republic of China (PRC) has reformed and opened up its economy for 4 decades. However, accompanying the country’s fast-growing gross domestic product (GDP) and trade sector, environmental degradation, such as deteriorating water quality, land deforestation, pollution, and frequent haze plagues, has attracted a great deal of attention.
Subscribe / Connect to Asia Pathways
- Agriculture and natural resources
- Capacity development
- Climate change
- Finance sector development
- Governance and public sector management
- Industry and trade
- Information and Communications Technology
- Private sector development
- Regional cooperation and integration
- Social development and protection
- Urban development
- Video Blog
- Bank of Japan’s unconventional monetary easing brings global recognition as a bold, innovative practitioner
- Asian lessons for reviving infrastructure investment as a driver of resilient development
- Uncovering women’s burden of “unseen” work
- ChatGPT and structural change: Proceed with caution
- How T20 and partners can give rise to impactful solutions to global challenges